
Just to clarify, since there's been some confusion... No, the baby doesn't actually change from the shape of a tomato to the shape of a banana and then a carrot. Although in the earlier weeks babycenter.com seemed to find fruits and veggies that were the approximate overall size of the baby, they are now just going by length. Also, prior to 20 weeks they talk about length in terms of "crown to rump" but after 20 weeks when it's easier to measure the entire body, they switch to crown to feet. Anyway, hopefully our baby is a little rounder than a carrot, about 10.5 inches and 3/4 of a pound at this point, although ours may be a little bigger.
Not much new to report this week. I'm just getting used to this new body, as well as people's reactions to it. Example:
Male acquaintance with whom I've never exchanged more than two words: Whoa! Are you having twins?
Me: Ha ha, no, not twins.
Him: How far along are you?
Me: About 5 months.
Him: Hmm, healthy baby!
Yeah, thanks, dude. Actually, I wasn't really offended, but I have been feeling a bit self-conscious about the size of my belly and that definitely didn't help. It's interesting how social etiquette seems to go out the window when you're pregnant. Suddenly strangers feel like they can put their hands all over you and tell you in graphic detail about how their husbands helped massage their perineums for weeks prior to their birth (or worse, the men who tell you about how they did that to their wives). Maybe I should start an "out of the mouths of grown-ups" post. Or maybe we should just be more relaxed about discussing bodies and bodily functions in general so it doesn't come as such a shock when you decide to have a baby.
Anyway, in blog news, we added some 20 week belly shots to the slideshow from last weekend. Thanks, Amber, for getting some good shots of Troy and I, despite his having just returned from a dirt bike ride and being pretty damn nasty and dirty. I also added a poll so people can vote to predict the sex of our baby. Since we decided not to find out the sex, I am way into hearing everyone's predictions. It means nothing, but it's fun. Thanks in advance for humoring me ;)
um...i gained 50 lbs during my pregnancy.
ReplyDeleteI know, and you look fabulous now! So many people I know gained at least 40, and up to 70 pounds! I think I'm close to 15 by now, so I'll probably at least be at the upper end of the recommended 25 to 35, but it helps put things in perspective to remember my friends who gained a lot of weight and are strutting around in their size 2 jeans now ;)
ReplyDelete