Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Another summer 2009 baby is on its way!
Who's the mama? The doctor who's supposed to deliver our baby! I may have made it out of my appointment yesterday afternoon still not knowing this because apparently those white doctor's coats do a really good job of hiding pregnant bellies, but I picked up on something she said that made me suspicious. While I was having a minor freakout about the nine pounds I gained since my last visit four and a half weeks ago, she told me not to worry, that she gained 60 pounds during her first pregnancy. "First pregnancy?" I thought, "I thought she only had one kid." When she brought up her daughter again later, I decided to be nosy. I asked her whether she had two children and she said she just had the one. Then I boldly asked, "You're not pregnant, are you?" She just smirked. I squealed and congratulated her, and then we had this weird moment of reversing roles during which I asked her how far along she was and how she was feeling. It turns out she's about 18 weeks along, due just over a month after us. She said we would probably be her last delivery. I can imagine that some moms-to-be might be upset by this news, but I'm pretty excited. I think I'm just way into anyone and everyone being pregnant right now, like, "Join the club! The more the merrier!" I also think it may make her more empathetic during the birth, as she'll be anticipating her own by then. If for some reason our baby is really late and she can't be there, her partner will be the backup. In Santa Cruz, if you go with an OB or midwife, you get whoever is on-call anyway, and there's no guarantee you'll have the practitioner you've been working with throughout your pregnancy. Because our doctor is a Family Practice physician (my primary care doctor), it will most likely be her. Anyway, I guess doctors are allowed to have babies, too. I just didn't necessarily anticipate having an eight months pregnant doc deliver our baby!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment