Wednesday, March 18, 2009

pregnancy and birth in Santa Cruz


I've been told that Santa Cruz is a wonderful place to have a baby, and from what I've experienced so far, I would definitely agree. One of my favorite resources that I've taken advantage of is the several prenatal yoga classes offered throughout the county. I am aware of at least six ongoing classes in Santa Cruz, and I'm sure there are more. Many of them are taught by doulas, or professional labor assistants, who are also trained specifically in prenatal yoga. They are knowledgable about the processes of pregnancy and birth, including common pregnancy pains and how certain yoga postures can help with these, as well as during labor. I've been trying to attend at least one class per week, and I often get to two. I have learned so much from the instructors and really enjoy getting to know the other pregnant women. Classes are generally pretty full, with as many as 20 of us attending each class (or 40 if you count our babies). The first few times I went, I was in awe of the women and their pregnant bellies, until it really started to sink in that I am one of them! The classes usually include check-ins, during which we share our due dates and other stats, as well as how we're feeling, and we sometimes respond to a deeper question posed by the instructor. When women reach 40 weeks, we often bless them at the end of class with song or guided imagery. One thing that's made me realize what a special place Santa Cruz is to give birth is the number of women in these classes who are choosing homebirths. At least 30% of the women in these classes seem to go this route, a number significantly higher than the less than 1% in the U.S. as a whole, but more comparable to many other countries across the world, such as the Netherlands (where, interestingly, the maternal and infant mortality rates are lower than the U.S.). There are many homebirth midwives to choose from in Santa Cruz, as opposed to other parts of the country where they can be difficult or impossible to come by, or where homebirth is illegal altogether. Although we're not choosing a homebirth, I think it's a wonderful practice that absolutely should be legal and encouraged for those women and couples who want to have their babies in the comfort of their homes.

I've also been to acupuncturists and chiropractors who specialize in prenatal treatment (and who are covered by my insurance!), which has been helpful for morning sickness, back pain, and sciatica. Troy and I also recently hired a doula for our birth, after hearing from a few friends who have had them and sworn by them. For about $1000, her package includes two prenatal visits, during which we will discuss our hopes for the birth, create a birth plan, and prepare for the big day in any other ways that make sense for us. When the day comes, we will call her when we think I'm in labor and she will meet us at our house during that early stage and help us decide when it's time to go to the hospital. She will then follow us there and stay with us throughout the entire labor and delivery, supporting us through breathing techniques, massage, suggestions for different positions, guided imagery, aromatherapy, and other forms of coaching depending on what works for us. She will also help guide Troy and the other members of our "birth team" in how to support me. She will then stay a couple hours post-partum to help with breastfeeding, facilitate bonding, take photos, and, again, whatever else is needed. This is followed by two post-partum visits during which she will again come to our home and help us process the birth and our adjustment to our new lives. She will also be available to us by phone from now until after the birth for questions and support. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me! The woman we went with has two children of her own and is a prenatal yoga instructor and student midwife, and seems like a really great person overall.

We are also excited about the hospital at which we're hoping to have the baby. Unless their rooms are full (which they obviously can't predict too accurately in advance), we will deliver at Sutter Maternity and Surgery Center, which sounds to me more like a hotel than a hospital, complete with jacuzzis in most rooms and 24/7 room service. However, it is also equipped for every type of intervention that may be needed during birth. We will be starting our childbirth, infant care, and breastfeeding classes there at the end of April, taught by another doula and prenatal yoga instructor. We've now heard several great reviews of her classes and are hoping to learn a lot.

I could go on, but I think I'll stop here after having sufficiently convinced myself and maybe you, too, that I'm spoiled. Now we just need to work on the post-partum care for mothers (and fathers) in this country as a whole. Twelve weeks of unpaid maternity leave just doesn't cut it, so maybe to France it will be for baby #2!

3 comments:

  1. Sutter is a DREAM. The nurses, the hot tubs, the food, the rooms, everything. It just does not get any better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great news! Your taking good care of you and baby with all that yoga, massage, preparedness...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becs, your blog is so wonderful. I've been checking in from time to time and I love reading about your adventure. (it's especially nice at 4:30am when my own pregnancy won't allow me to sleep!) You sound so happy and positive and in touch and in love with your body and this amazing process. It inspires me. As far as you baby's gender, I really can't decide. I have had girl vibes on and off all along, but I will say that your very active baby and the heart rate are more similar to my boy experience. (his heart rate has been in the 140's.) Ah, the waiting game. I'm going to attempt the sleep thing again. Your belly photos are super, you look beautiful. Love you.

    ReplyDelete