
This week I learned the term for the lovely pregnancy symptom that has me feeling like I've been kicked really hard in the crotch. (And now I sound like one of those people who gives too much information that I was complaining about in my last post, but at least I'm not forcing you to listen). It's called Pubic Symphysis Diastasis, and is caused by the hormone relaxin causing the pelvis, particularly at the pubic bone, to loosen in preparation for birth. It's been bothering me on and off throughout the pregnancy, along with occasional hip and sacrum pain or sensitivity, especially after walking longer distances. I had heard my prenatal yoga teacher mention "pubic symphysis" in class, but didn't know exactly what she was referring to. When I finally asked and she described it more politely as "feeling like you've been riding a horse for too long," I knew that was what I've been experiencing. The only good thing about this affliction (besides its role in helping prepare my body for birth) is that it gets me out of doing squats until I can't walk in prenatal yoga. Although, since the PSD in itself makes it difficult to walk, maybe that doesn't really matter. Well, at least I can still ride the bike at the gym. Now that it's getting nicer out, though, I would really love to be able to go for a walk or jog or hike outside.
I could go on and on about all the bizarre things happening to my body, but then I might sound like I'm complaining, and I want to make it really clear that I don't mean to complain. I really don't mind most of these symptoms. They're a minor inconvenience at worst, and so incredibly worth it. I'm actually really in awe of my body, and women's bodies in general, and how they know just what to do to prepare for this whole process. I think it will be really empowering to remember that when the time comes to actually give birth. My body was made for this and knows exactly what to do.
Baby has been moving more and more this week and that continues to make everything feel so
real and even tangible. I am becoming more aware of the movement from the outside of my body; for example, when standing with my arms at my sides, I feel the occasional little bump against my arm. Sometimes I imagine that as these movements become even more significant, people will actually be able to see them from a distance. Just like in cartoons when the characters hearts pop out of their chests during heightened emotional states, they will see a foot quickly spring out of my belly and then just as quickly retreat.Thanks for your votes on the poll. A lot of you think we're having a boy! Is that because I said I thought the doctor slipped and said "he"? I don't really think she did. I think it was my imagination, and Troy definitely didn't hear it. Just to throw you off a little, in case you care to pay any attention to any of the old wives' tales, we have these signs that point to a girl:
1. I am carrying very high and spread out.
2. Baby's heart rate has been in the high 140s to 150.
3. My acupuncturist said they can predict the sex based on the mother's heartbeat, and that mine was indicative of a girl.
I have to admit that I've been getting boy vibes, though, but that may be because I don't want to let these silly things convince me that it's a girl, or maybe I actually have a slight preference for a boy. Troy, on the other hand, wants a little girl. Either way, of course, we'll be thrilled.
No comments:
Post a Comment