Thursday, March 5, 2009

Denny's Grand Slam


So, I made reference to the Duke family Denny's story in a previous post and wanted to explain this special family tradition. Growing up, my family wasn't exactly wealthy. We rarely went out to eat, except for special occasions. Those occasions were usually predictable, like a birthday or holiday, but once in a while my parents would surprise us with plans for a dinner out, usually to Denny's or Friendly's. I'm not sure whether they took me out to announce to me my mom's pregnancy with my sister, but they did with my next sibling, my brother Ian. By the time we were a family of five, we rarely got out, so when I was 9, Katherine was 6, and Ian was 4, and my parents announced one of these surprise dinners out, I knew something was up, and immediately thought, "Oh man, Mom's knocked up again" (well, maybe not in those exact words, but it was with that general tone). Sure enough, we got to Denny's and it was, "Kids, we have an announcement..." Several months later, our little love Reid entered our lives.

I told this story to Troy a few years ago (which is much better told in person, by the way), and for some reason he found it hilarious. It became a running joke on all sides of our families, and we even announced our pregnancy to our parents by asking them if they were free to go to Denny's that night. My dad promptly began calling the pregnancy a "Denny's Grand Slam." Although we have never set foot in the Denny's that's only about 5 miles down the street from us, you can be sure that if there's a baby #2 in our future, we will be taking baby #1 there to break the news.

(Sorry Mom and Dad. I hope you don't mind that I've gone public with our sacred tradition. Clearly you're able to laugh about it, too, though.)

1 comment:

  1. oh i can't wait to meet the GS! i really think it's a boy. also - awesome photo of the two of you up top - can you also post the photo of troy with the mullet? i'd be so grateful.

    ReplyDelete