Friday, July 3, 2009

38 weeks: leek

Ok, this baby needs to be born because I'm feeling resentful that I set myself up for these weekly updates and really don't care anymore what fruit or vegetable it is. I know this baby is big. Do I sound like a woman about to go into labor or what? Actually, my chiropractor told me I don't look miserable yet, so I probably have at least a couple more weeks to go. How encouraging on multiple levels.

Well, I do think things are starting to happen. At my doctor's appointment on Thursday, she did an exam and discovered that I'm about a centimeter dilated and 50% effaced. Not that that mean s a whole lot, but I was glad to hear that I've made some progress and my body is starting to prepare for the birth. The doctor didn't think birth was imminent, but was hopeful that I won't go too far past my due date. Again, it is so difficult to predict, though, and I decided that's not a bad thing. I would hate for science and medicine to be able to take all of the magic and mystery out of birth. Anyway, interestingly, when the doctor was examining me, it triggered a contraction to which I was completely oblivious. Even when she had me feel for the hardness of my uterus, I couldn't differentiate it from the hardness of baby that's always there. I've since also had my acupuncturist and doula think they felt a contraction when they were palpating baby, and I again had no idea it was happening. It would be nice if it continued that way through labor, but I have a feeling I'll learn what a contraction feels like before this baby is born.

I have started going back to acupuncture for pre-birth treatments (yes, I'm totally doing this pregnancy and birth thing Santa Cruz style). My insurance covers it, so I figured it's worth a try. All it does is help to prepare your body for labor and encourage it to continue along the path it's generally already on at this point. For women who go past their due dates, they sometimes ramp things up a bit if need be. I've really enjoyed the two visits I've had so far. The practitioner had really positive things to say about baby and was actually a bit more thorough than my doctor has been. She helped me to figure out the exact position of baby and confirmed that the head was engaged. She estimated the baby's weight at this point to be between seven and eight pounds, based on palpation. Since then, my doctor estimated seven and my doula seven and a half, all based on palpation and having not heard each others predictions. Both acupuncturists I've seen have predicted a girl baby based on my heartbeat, and the main one I've been seeing felt that the baby is very "available," and the type to do well during delivery. We love getting all of this information, but of course take it all with a grain of salt.

We also had a great second and last prenatal visit with our doula last night, although I've also been getting to take prenatal yoga from her twice weekly now that I'm done with work. We firmed up some hopes and plans for the birth and she showed Troy some acupressure points and massage techniques for early labor. She also felt baby and was able to hear the heartbeat just by putting her ear to my belly, and taught Troy to do the same. Very cool.

Before I sign off on this long post, more baby congratulations are in order this week, as my coworker and friend Michelle and her husband had their baby. He was due July 29th, 12 days after our due date, but was born exactly a month early on June 29th. Even though he was a bit early, he weighed a hearty six pounds, seven ounces, and seems to be doing well. Welcome Rivers Buchanan, and congratulations Michelle and Josh! We are looking forward to meeting the little guy tomorrow evening at a little 4th of July party they're having, which they had planned before the surprise arrival of baby. Yes, we think they're crazy for not canceling the party, but are looking forward to seeing them nonetheless.

1 comment:

  1. No comments! Well, I just have to say, you're doing a good job writing - we all appreciate it. It won't be long now!!

    ReplyDelete