There were two pregnancy highlights this week. The first was that we spent Mother's Day working on the baby's room and got a lot accomplished, with the help of Marsha and Roger and our neighbor, Kristy. We touched up paint, took down the closet doors and put in an organizer, painted the closet walls, got rid of our guest room furniture, and started getting the baby furniture together and moved in. It looks like a totally different room now and it's so refreshing! It made me super excited about baby, and several times I've gone in there to "glide" on the glider and admire all the cute baby things and imagine what it will be like to have our little one. Unfortunately, we're now working on finding a place for all the junk we moved out of there, and right now it's just sitting around various places in our house, but it's definitely a good excuse to go through some things and think about what we really need and what we might just get rid of. I will post photos of the nursery when it's a little more organized and closer to being done.The second highlight of the week was our inappropriate laughing fit in the middle of our childbirth class the other night. The instructor said something about the "bag of waters," which for me triggered a memory from the previous night. I turned to Troy and whispered, "Do you remember when I got up to pee in the middle of the night and got back in bed and you asked me if my bag of waters was intact?" He started laughing and said he hadn't remembered and then we both started quietly cracking up, as much as it's possible to crack up quietly. The instructor thought we were laughing nervously because at that point she was holding up the crochet-like hook they use to break a woman's water if needed during labor. Really though, Troy just gets a big kick out of the term "bag of waters" and we both found it hilarious that we'd had this little middle-of-the-night exchange that neither of us had remembered until that moment. I feel bad that we so rudely disrupted the class with our laughter, but I was relieved that it didn't turn into one of those prolonged giggle fits where you just can't stop. We came close, but managed to get it together.
There was a low point this week, too, which happened last night when hormones, stress, and the constant need to pee finally got the best of me. The three factors led to a bad bout of insomnia, which resulted in a total midnight meltdown. I feel better today, and just need to take things one day at a time in these next four weeks, which include a frantic wrapping up of the school year, four baby showers, continued childbirth and infant care classes, meetings with our doula, continued work on the baby's room, a "babymoon" for Troy and I, and I'm sure many other things I'm forgetting. Many of those things will hopefully be fun and positive, but it can feel overwhelming to think of it all at once. I'm looking forward to school being out, so I can head down to the beach, dig a big hole for my belly, and lie there like a beached whale for hours on end. There will still be plenty to do during that time, but not working will make that a lot more manageable than it feels now. Let's just hope baby doesn't decide to make too early of an appearance, so I can actually get a little downtime in before that whole concept becomes an impossible fantasy for the next 18 years or so.
Wow - multiple pieces of produce! This is starting to get good! I'm hoping for a cornucopia basket next post.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely cannot wait for nursery photos. And water bags - i started laughing the first time you mentioned it, no story necessary. but i'm wondering are there really bagS? i thought it was just one bag.
Also, hang in there with all the stress! it is all good stuff. but too bad you can't pop a sleeping pill and hook yourself up to a catheter.
Wait, wait one more comment - BELLY PHOTO???
A cornucopia basket - love it! Yeah, I realized when I read your comment that I think it's actually "bag of waters," (maybe equally weird) but I think I've also heard "water bag(s)" or of course just plain "water." Now I'm compelled to go back and change it because I think "bag of waters" is what Troy really said. Anyway, thanks for your encouraging words. Yeah, I was definitely thinking how nice it would be to pop a lunesta last night. A catheter would be fabulous, too! (That's an odd sentence to write.) Belly photos to come next weekend.
ReplyDelete