Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ewan is 10 months old

I've posted a lot about Ewan's many language and motor milestones in the past couple months, but a recent development is that he has just begun cruising a little bit - walking while holding onto furniture, that is. Here's a short clip, taken a week or so ago, of a few of his first cruising steps. The video is poor quality (long story), but I like it because it's short and sweet and includes a good squeal-fest and Ewan's signature leg shake at the end...

cruising from Rebecca Turvy on Vimeo.

Also in the motor department, Ewan has finally switched over almost completely to crawling on all fours. It is so fun to watch him make his way around the house, speedily crawling wherever he wants to go, and pulling up on anything and everything. He seems like such a kid now, and can entertain himself so well. He often just sits and plays with his toys, flipping through the pages of his books and spinning the wheels on his trucks, for example. Other times, though, he just wants to be in arms, which is almost impossible to refuse, as he can now crawl over to us and pull up on our pant legs. This morning he did that and said, "Mama!" How could I say no to that?!

Ewan continues to be a great eater, at least when it comes to solids. He will chow on anything we put in front of him. A few of his favorite things to eat are bread, cheese, yogurt, and raspberries. Amazingly, though, he digs pure sauteed and pureed spinach, too, a pretty intense taste if you ask me. These days, we give him pretty much whatever we're eating, and he can handle big chunks of most things. He can bite off little pieces and chews/sucks/gums them until they're soft enough to swallow. He also loves drinking out of glasses and cups without lids. Ewan is not so big on nursing these days, though, except in the middle of the night to get back to sleep. Although I am tired of waking up so many times at night to nurse him, in some ways I am grateful for the opportunity to have this closeness with him and provide him with this wonderful source of nutrition, which he otherwise generally refuses. I have a feeling when I break the nursing to sleep habit, which I intend to do this summer, that Ewan will self-wean, but of course I could be wrong and I will be pleasantly surprised if that's the case.

Our little guy is teething like crazy these days, too, but handling it really well. One of his top teeth broke through recently, and he seems to have a total of five more on their way in (three more on top and two on the bottom).

One more thing I realized I haven't written much about is daycare. Ewan loves going to Wanda's on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Although we had a very, very brief period of separation and stranger anxiety, it seems to have passed, and these days he eagerly leaps out of my arms to play as soon as we get there. It makes me so happy to see him having such a good time there! He also has a blast with our friend and babysitter, Trisha, and Troy's mom, Ewan's Nannas, on Fridays. Sometimes I feel like I already have a teenager who barely gives me the time of day when I get home. It's like the baby equivalent of an apathetic, "Hey, Mom. What's up?" Ok, maybe it's not quite that extreme, but he is a pretty independent little guy.

Well, that's the scoop for this month, with the exception of a few more photos you can find here. Ewan has a very exciting 11th month planned, including a big family reunion (or meet-the-extended-family in his case) in North Carolina, two first birthday parties, and another trip to the east coast to celebrate his Gram's 60th birthday, Uncle Reid's graduation from Dartmouth, and my good friend's wedding (although he probably won't be joining in the festivities for that), as well as to see many other family members and friends. Life is good, isn't it, Ewan?

No comments:

Post a Comment