Here are a couple recent photos of our big boy:

Ewan finds his thumb from Rebecca Turvy on Vimeo.
In typical baby fashion, Ewan has spent most of the first month of his life eating, sleeping, and pooping. In the eating department, we are doing really well. I feel so lucky that we haven't had any problems with breastfeeding, as I know a lot of new moms and babies do. We are incredibly amused by Ewan's "piglet/little monster/wild dingo routine" he often does when he's trying to latch on to nurse. This consists of snorts, grunts, and a wild shaking of the head back and forth, which appears to be both an expression of excitement, as well as an attempt to find the gold mine, or milk mine, known as my nipple. He often finishes the routine by staring right at the nipple and growling, "grrr, grrr, grr," like a wild dog who's just come into contact with a big piece of raw meat. I think this would be quite intimidating if he had any teeth and wasn't so darn cute. Then he latches on and sucks with boisterous pleasure, "gulp, gulp, mmm, gulp, gulp, mmm." I can relate to the author of Waiting for Birdy who marvels at the women who are able to breastfeed so discreetly, because her children are such loud eaters. Anyway, we're sure much of Ewan's routine is part of the normal rooting reflex, but we still get a huge kick out of it. Unfortunately, as he's become more of a master at latching on (he can often dive and get it on the first try from inches away), we're not seeing it as much. Sigh. A sweet newborn behavior that's
already passing us by.Also with regard to eating, last week I started pumping my milk and, on Sunday, Troy introduced Ewan to his first bottle. He took to it with no problems and it was a happy experience for all of us. Troy and I are both looking forward to him doing weekend morning feedings and letting me sleep in, as he is a total morning person and I definitely am not. It will free him up to take Ewan on little outings to Peet's coffee, the beach, and walks in the woods with his friend Peti and the dogs. Troy and I may even be able to get out for a date night before too long, although I must admit I have no desire to leave my baby at this point. It's all about appreciating the possibility, though.
As far as sleeping goes, we can't complain too much, either. Things aren't perfect, but are they
And pooping? Well, we'll just say everything is going well in that department, too, and leave it at that.
In just the past week or so, we've also seen more smiles (and not just gas smiles!) and heard more coos and other forms of "talking." I imagine we'll have a lot more to report in the coming weeks as we see more and more of these new behaviors. There is so much to look forward to, I often have to slow down and remind myself to enjoy the precious present.
To close, here are a few more photos of our sweet boy and his sweet little baby parts:
I cannot believe he is already one month old!! He is so adorable and I love the photos. What a beautiful family!!!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe Ewan's a whole month old already, either. He's totally turning into a person! I love all the videos, and the picture of him sleeping on your shoulder is one of the cutest things I've ever seen.
ReplyDeleteadorable!
ReplyDeletei love it! the photos are so great. i agree that the one of him sleeping on you is amazing. i think his expression that's caught in the video image looks like troy, and amber's right, his ears totally look like yours.
ReplyDeleteVery cute photos, Bec. I can't believe it's been a whole month either! Glad to hear everything's going well. Listen to you - "95th percentile!" Such proud parents...not that there's anything wrong with that! :*)
ReplyDelete