Our doula suggested we spend some time in the jacuzzi, which sounded great. She filled the tub and I believe it
was after we got out that I had my first real melt-
down and started talking about needing some help.
Some time during these wee hours of the morning (it's all a bit of a blur now, so I'm probably telling some of this out of order), the nurse decided to check me again. Minimal progress. I was maybe at 3 1/2 centimeters now. This was when I really decided I was going to need some help to get through this labor, and our nurse and doula, while still encouraging me to continue on, discussed our options with us. These included breaking my water, giving me morphine to temporarily help with the pain and allow me to get some sleep then continue on "naturally," and giving me an epidural to help with the pain for the rest of labor and allow me to sleep. We would be able to try the epidural with or without pitocin, but our doula warned that pitocin would probably be necessary in this case to help move things along. For some reason I was more afraid of the morphine than the epidural, I think because I had learned a lot about epidurals through my reading and childbirth classes and was more familiar with potential side effects. I also didn't like the idea of this labor continuing on for potentially days longer, so I pretty quickly made up my mind that I wanted the epidural and pitocin.
Even after we made the decision to get the epidural and pitocin, it was several hours before it actually happened. We passed the time in much the same manner as we had previously, including another session in the tub. At a more respectable hour of the morning, the backup doctor came in and again discussed with me my options, one of which was returning home to labor more. My response: a slightly more polite version of "HELL NO!" We did decide, however, to break my water, just to see if that would help things progress a bit. She did, and it pushed me up to four centimeters. The doctor spotted a small amount of meconium in the amniotic fluid, but it was so little that she wasn’t really concerned. We also found out that our original doctor would be arriving back in town shortly and would be available after noon or so. It looked like she would be delivering our baby after all!
Later in the morning, the nurse hooked me up to an IV to get the fluids I needed before getting the epidural. From this point on, I pretty much had to stay in bed. In some ways it was difficult to get through contractions without being able to move around, but at the same time I was so exhausted I welcomed the excuse to stay lying down. I think it was close to noon by the time the anesthesiologist came in to get me set up with the epidural. He had a little trouble getting it in and there was some question as to whether it would actually take, but it did. Although the numbness was a strange sensation, it was really nice to see the contractions showing up on the monitor and to not really feel them at all. The nurse then started the pitocin drip on the lowest setting and put in a catheter. Our doula continued to make sure we were well informed about everything the doctors and nurses were doing, and then she encouraged the entire birth team to try to nap. We encouraged her to do the same.
We got at least a solid hour of sleep in before the nurse came in and noticed that the baby’s heart rate was dropping following each contraction. She called the same on-call doctor in (ours was still not yet available) and she became concerned when she saw the monitor. She and the nurse were both in and out of the room a couple times before the doctor spoke with us. She said that the baby’s heart rate dropping could be a sign of distress, and that if this pattern continued, they would be unable to up the pitocin as much as they suspected they would need to to get me fully dilated. She, a family practice doctor like our own, said they wanted to try changing my position first, but also said she had consulted with the stabilized immediately. I asked whether we could try this before we even started discussing the possibility of a cesarean. The doctor and nurse looked at each other and then told me that, sure, we could try that. I also remembered reading that a slight drop in a b
aby’s heart rate following contractions was normal, and that reassured me. Sure enough, the combination of them turning me on my side and giving me oxygen fixed the situation immediately. Baby held up incredibly well from that point on. Later,
Over the next couple hours, the nurse gradually upped the pitocin. Sometime during this stretch of time, our doula encouraged our naturally nervous moms to get out for a glass of wine and some food. They left for the Crow’s Nest. However, it wasn’t much later when I started to feel a lot of pressure down south. I mentioned it to the nurse and asked when they would check me again for dilation. She casually said something like, “Mmm, I don’t know, in a little while.” Maybe a half hour later I was feeling yet more pressure and mentioned it again. “Well, I can check you,” she said. I was happy to have her do so. She sounded very surprised to discover that I was at nine centimeters. That would explain the pressure. I asked when they would call our doctor and I got another casual, vague response. moms, as they hadn’t been gone long. We joked that if we called them and told them to finish their drinks and then come back, that they would chug them and race over. Sure enough, that’s exactly what happened, except that they stopped for a minute to announce to the entire restaurant that they had to leave because they were having a baby. They were back at Sutter in no time, very excited and perhaps a little tipsy, too.
wow becca thanks so much for sharing! reminds me a lot of my own labor. you should get an award for writing this out in such detail! looking forward to the rest.
ReplyDeleteBecca, I am so proud of you! Way to trust yourself and Troy and know exactly what you needed.
ReplyDeleteThanks you guys! I know, too much detail. I started writing and couldn't stop, and I know the details aren't important for everyone to hear, but for me they all felt so important - I couldn't leave anything out! Katie, I thought of you and your labor a lot during mine. I also thought it was similar. You helped me know what I needed to do! I was so glad I had re-read Violet's birth story before I had Ewan. So, thank you ;)
ReplyDeleteno, not too much detail at all! it's sort of like re-living it. keep the words flowing!
ReplyDeletenot too much detail. it's perfect. i'm a little weepy.
ReplyDelete