Friday, April 24, 2009

28 weeks: Chinese cabbage!

I like the ethnic diversity of the fruits and vegetables: English hothouse cucumber, Chinese cabbage... Anyway, this week we're back to weight, and baby weighs the same as an average Chinese cabbage, which is apparently about 2 1/4 pounds.

This week we started our childbirth preparation class and I had another doctor's appointment. Troy and I both enjoyed the class, but were a little disappointed in the number of people - at least 30. Smaller would definitely be more conducive to getting to know the other parents-to-be, but hopefully we'll still get to know people and I think we'll also learn a thing or two. We were good students and did our homework last night, which consisted of practicing a combination of breath work and massage. That's something I think we both need right now, regardless of this impending birth.

The doctor's appointment was also good. Everything is right on track, including how baby is measuring, so as big as I feel, this may mean that we don't necessarily have a huge baby after all. Of course these things are only so accurate, so we'll just have to wait and see. I feel very lucky that everything has gone so smoothly so far, though. This has been a rather textbook pregnancy, knock on wood.

In non-pregnancy-related news, the weather here in Santa Cruz has been wacko. We had three days earlier this week during which I believe it reached over 100 degrees at our house in Felton. Now? Low 60s and looking to stay that way. Although I enjoy the warm weather, 100 was a little much, especially being pregnant, so I'll take the cooler temps for a little while longer. School is also winding down, with only seven weeks to go. That makes me both excited and nervous, because I have so much to get done in those seven weeks. It'll get done, though, as it always seems to somehow, and then it will be only 5 weeks until baby's due date!

I have to close with this link to a YouTube video my mom sent me. When I was little and obsessed with The Sound of Music and Annie, I would often imagine what it would be like to be somewhere and have people break into song and dance, like in a musical. (Ok, I still sometimes fantasize about that.) I would have loved to have witnessed this live: www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UE3CNu_rtY.

4 comments:

  1. My Baby Momma is looking good! I'm looking forward to meeting our little peanut. Love, your favorite mullet man.

    Troy boy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bec, I had a dream last night that you had the baby. You named him Bobby (Robert George Turvy). He was born looking several months old already, and by the end of his first day of life, he could already point up at the sky and say, "Plane!" He had a big nose, lots of blond hair, and-- at one point --a full beard.

    This is how I'm going to think of your impending baby from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, lordy. Thanks, Kath. Just what I had envisioned for our little babe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bec - I love the video you posted! I'm gonna share that one with several musical fanatics like me.

    ReplyDelete