Friday, April 17, 2009

27 weeks: cauliflower!

Baby is due in 3 months from today! I think that means I'm officially in the third trimester now, but you hear different things depending on what you read or who you ask. I certainly look like I'm in the third trimester, though! (More photos to come next weekend.) I guess the babe is now close to two pounds, about the weight of a head of cauliflower. That's pretty crazy considering you hear of babies surviving who weigh less than that at birth. Of course I really hope ours decides to wait these three more months to be born, but it's weirdly reassuring to think s/he would probably survive if born now. But let's not entertain that thought any more.

This week has been a little rough, not in terms of pregnancy symptoms, but because I came back to California really run-down and sick. I caught a cold, I think from Miss Sadie Mae Garrett, which was not helped by flying and sleep deprivation and a return to the stresses of work. By yesterday I had almost completely lost my voice, and I still haven't quite found it.

Pregnancy-wise, I'm feeling really good. I just returned from the chiropractor, which I think is helping some sacrum and pubic bone issues I've had on and off. It was also really cool that the chiropractor got to see a couple kicks while she was adjusting me. It's one thing for Troy and I to be staring at my belly and be able to see some movement, but another for someone to randomly witness a kick without actually looking for it.

This coming week we will be starting our childbirth education classes through Sutter Maternity and Surgery Center, where we plan to deliver. Right now it sort of feels like one extra thing we have to fit in to our already busy schedules (yeah, I guess we better get used to that), but I think it will be really good and help us get or minds off our stressful work situations and more focused on the impending arrival of baby. This particular instructor comes highly recommended and we are looking forward to learning a lot and meeting some other new parents-to-be. I'm also looking forward to returning to the doctor on Thursday. I have a few questions for her and am curious about my weight after the nine pound gain between my last two visits. I've been slightly more careful since then, although I think I've done a pretty good job of listening to my body all along. Interestingly, I stepped on my scale yesterday morning and it looked like I'd actually lost a pound since my last visit. Then I weighed myself again this morning and was somehow up 3.5 pounds since yesterday (2.5 since my last visit). Either way, I feel much better about that than nine pounds in 4.5 weeks. Unless of course my scale is broken and those numbers are wrong. Oh my God, maybe I BROKE MY SCALE! It certainly has never registered such high numbers, even from my big, burly husband. Well, I guess I'll find out next week. Really, I'm not stressing about it nearly as much as I just made it sound. Tis what it is, and it's all good as long as baby is healthy.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the two pound cauliflower! Yenari just got the four pound pineapple update...

    ReplyDelete