I go back to work tomorrow. I can't believe it. The summer has gone by so fast. And I can't believe I didn't accomplish either of my two goals for the summer: working on Ewan's sleep and cleaning out my closet (and potentially actually buying myself some new clothes to replace the ones I've been wearing for years). I suppose we did accomplish the working on sleep part; we just didn't have much success. A few weeks ago I started the process of trying to night wean Ewan, and at first it looked like we were getting somewhere, then, just as he did the last time we worked on sleep, he started really protesting. Part of this I think is due to the fact that he is on the verge of getting several teeth (something that was not obvious when I started the process). But I think more of it has to do with him being very strong-willed about his sleep needs/desires. Also, I just can't seem to cope with the extreme sleep deprivation that seems to be required to work on sleep. It's such a catch 22. It's like if you get headaches every day and someone tells you you can be free of them if you're willing to endure a week (or two, or more) of massive migraines. When I don't nurse him back to sleep, he simply doesn't sleep. Sometimes he cries and sometimes he is just awake, but since he's in our bed, I can't sleep either (not that I could if I knew he was awake in his own room either). Anyway, I suppose I should just start preparing myself to go off to college with him in 17 years, because we'll probably still be co-sleeping and nursing then. Eww, that's kind of gross to even joke about.
In other end of the summer news, Ewan will be attending a new daycare for this school year. His old one was a home-based daycare with a very sweet older woman and it was fine, but there were things we weren't thrilled with. This year, he will be attending Quail Hollow Montessori School right here in Felton. They have a 6-24 month/infant program, which he will be in this year, a 2-3/toddler program, and a 3-6/preschool program. Troy and I both like the Montessori philosophy and love the idea of Ewan being with more little ones his age (he was the only baby in his last daycare, which was nice for the first year of his life, but we want him to get more social time now). We've visited several times and Ewan loves it. When I ask him about it, he claps. It's really cute. I think he'll do great. I'm only worried about naps. They only take one a day (he's used to two) and they generally have them lie down on mats and they rub their backs to sleep, although they sound flexible about all of this. I think he will need a lot more help than that, if he sleeps at all (he barely ever slept at his last daycare, even as a young infant). Thankfully he'll only be there for 2 1/2 days a week, so if I can get him to nap well on the other days, hopefully it will balance out. We'll see!
Anyway, here is a sampling of how we spent our last month or so of summer, and more can be found here. I am so grateful that I've had this wonderful time home with Ewan!
Taking a break from our bike ride to pick blackberries on the side of the road:
Learning to walk in the most beautiful of settings:
Ewan playing with his friend, Rivers, at the park:
On the beach:
A great sign from our friends, the Emerys, which is now actually hanging above Ewan's new table and chairs (a.k.a. his jungle gym) from his Nannas:

In other end of the summer news, Ewan will be attending a new daycare for this school year. His old one was a home-based daycare with a very sweet older woman and it was fine, but there were things we weren't thrilled with. This year, he will be attending Quail Hollow Montessori School right here in Felton. They have a 6-24 month/infant program, which he will be in this year, a 2-3/toddler program, and a 3-6/preschool program. Troy and I both like the Montessori philosophy and love the idea of Ewan being with more little ones his age (he was the only baby in his last daycare, which was nice for the first year of his life, but we want him to get more social time now). We've visited several times and Ewan loves it. When I ask him about it, he claps. It's really cute. I think he'll do great. I'm only worried about naps. They only take one a day (he's used to two) and they generally have them lie down on mats and they rub their backs to sleep, although they sound flexible about all of this. I think he will need a lot more help than that, if he sleeps at all (he barely ever slept at his last daycare, even as a young infant). Thankfully he'll only be there for 2 1/2 days a week, so if I can get him to nap well on the other days, hopefully it will balance out. We'll see!
Anyway, here is a sampling of how we spent our last month or so of summer, and more can be found here. I am so grateful that I've had this wonderful time home with Ewan!
Taking a break from our bike ride to pick blackberries on the side of the road:
Would you mind seeing what you can find out for me about a montessori bed? Right now we're trying Jun on the floor on a mattress, which I found out was a montessori thing. It's kind of terrifying to find her in the morning across the room after rolling and scooting in her sleep, but like Ewan, having her in our bed meant getting kicked and punched all night, and a crib meant hours of screaming. It's been a good compromise for us (for the 3 nights we've done it), but still, I'd like to learn more, and since you're the only one I know using a Montessori school, I would love to know if people use it with an infant.
ReplyDeleteBecca, I feel your pain about the nap @ daycare anxiety. Tomorrow is Vera's first full day of daycare, and therefore the first time she will have to nap there. She is a fairly good napper at home, but she's NEVER had anyone but me or Joe put her down or wake her up... and they sleep on COTS at this daycare (good luck keeping my monkey girl in her cot, people!!)... I'm pretty worried about it, but as a mommy I just have to remember the only way she will learn to take comfort from other people is by letting her be with other people... that's one thing we can't teach her ourselves! I keep repeating that to myself... don't know how much it's helping, tho ;-)
ReplyDeleteI hope Ewan's first day goes well. Give us all the update!
Thanks for the update bex! I'm sure the sleep situation will work itself out one way or another. It seems like right when you can't stand something any longer, it changes. Ewan's new school sounds great - can't wait to hear how it all goes. Miss you all!
ReplyDeleteah, sweet summer. i can't wait to hear all about his school - sounds super fun and cute! i feel your pain in the sleep dept. but don't worry, you'll have all new worries to lose sleep over when he's a teenager - you'll think back to how nice it was when he just wanted to nurse all night! love you lots, missing you. m
ReplyDeleteTeresa, sorry to hear about your sleep struggles! There is so much trial and error involved! We just inherited a toddler bed and used it as an excuse to ditch the crib, which never worked for us. Ewan is still co-sleeping at night, but sometimes naps in the bed and loves to play "night-night" in it (hey, it's a start!). It is a Montessori thing to have children sleep low to the ground and in such a way that allows them to get into and out of their bed/sleeping area easily and independently. I like that idea. I don't know much more beyond that, but will do a little more research because I'm interested, too, and I'll get back to you.
ReplyDeleteThanks other ladies for your empathy and words of wisdom. You are all so right! Sophia, I've totally adopted your mantra. It is so helpful and so true!
Ewan's first day was pretty good overall, with one exception. He transitioned well with no tears, but later in the morning cried for the good part of an hour. It seemed to be triggered by another mom coming in to pick up or visit her kid. I guess he started crying and asking for me and didn't want to be comforted by anyone else. It breaks my heart. But he did get over it and was happy for the rest of the day, and he actually napped pretty well! They tried to rock him to sleep and he just started crying, so they laid him down on his little mat like the other kids and gave him his bottle with just water in it (we're at least trying to break the milk-sleep association and I'm trying to avoid pumping again this school year) and the teacher stroked his hair and he fell asleep like that. He woke up after his usual 30 minutes, but they got him back to sleep and he slept for close to another 30. It probably doesn't sound great, but for Ewan it is, especially on his first day. He was perfectly happy when I picked him up, and the drop off this morning went well, too. As it approaches time for me to leave work, I'm starting to get anxious about how the rest of the day went. I'll keep you posted!
great photos and ditto on the sleep situation for us!
ReplyDelete