
That's a card my mom sent me a couple months ago, and that's my sister and me in the photo. My dad's mom, my Grammie, used to always remind my mom during hard times that "this too shall pass." It has become my mantra with regard to sleep. The card cracked me up, though, and laughter is, of course, always good medicine in tough times.If it's not clear already, or if you're not one of the 724 people whom I've consulted about our troubles with sleep, when it comes to this subject, we've been through a lot in the last few months. So where do I start? For Ewan's five month post, I wrote a little bit about our struggles and how, if things didn't improve, we planned to try sleep training, which is a nice way of saying letting Ewan cry it out. This was a last resort for us, not because I think it's a terrible thing to do, but because I flat out didn't know if I could handle it. I have always had a hard time even letting Ewan fuss, let alone cry for long periods of time. I had such anxiety about trying this and agonized over the decision, but I was desperate. So, we picked a week right around Ewan's half-birthday, and I even took an extra day off work so I'd have five straight days to work on sleep. We planned to use a book called the SleepEasy Solution, which is pretty similar to the Ferber method. So, with a bottle of wine waiting for us, that first night we put Ewan down in his crib, drowsy but awake, prepared to let him cry (with regular check-ins from us) for as long as it took. What happened? He fell asleep, with no crying. We couldn't believe it and thought that it was too good to be true. Sure enough, he woke up about an hour later and cried for 30 minutes before falling back to sleep. Without going into detail about everything that followed, I'll summarize by saying that we had very inconsistent progress over the next several nights. There were a couple of nights that Ewan slept for nine or ten hours without a peep, by far a record, and nights where he cried for hours on and off throughout the night. It was on those nights that I was really ready to give in and rescue him, but Troy encouraged me to continue to stick with the program. On one particularly bad night several nights into the program, we all cried a lot, and even when Ewan slept, I couldn't sleep from the stress and guilt and actually ended up having an anxiety attack and vomiting in the middle of the night. I took a mental health day from work the next day and thankfully we had Ewan's six month doctor's appointment scheduled for that afternoon. The doctor, too, encouraged me to stick with the program because we had had some good nights, and she said that usually sleep training does work (even though she herself was currently co-sleeping with her five-month-old). That night went really well. So did the next, but then we had another horrible one. During another long crying episode on night ten (I mean Ewan, but probably me, too - I don't remember), I really really wanted to throw in the towel, and, for the second time, Troy and I agreed that if Ewan didn't stop crying in another fifteen minutes, we would quit. He stopped after ten of the longest minutes of my life. The next day, after a serious, rational talk, we decided that if at any point from then on, Ewan cried for more than a half hour, we would quit the program. It happened in the middle of the night that night. So, on night eleven, I went in and, with a combination of relief and apprehension I didn't think possible, rescued my crying baby and brought him into bed with us.
During our struggles, I talked to a lot of other moms about sleep. For those who tried sleep training and stuck with it, it worked in less than a week, generally with less crying each night. It's easy to look back and question whether it didn't work for us because of something we did, like the couple times I did respond to Ewan's cries by nursing him because I thought he might actually be hungry or the fact that we gave up working on naps after just three days because I couldn't take the around the clock crying and even more significant sleep deprivation for Ewan, but the truth of the matter is that most of the other parents I know who have done this did still respond to their babies cries at night by nursing them and didn't stick to their programs 100 percent, and it still worked. I'm sure there are many, but I personally have only heard of one other baby who took longer than a week to sleep train: the daughter of the famous mom blogger, Dooce. She took a full two weeks, shortly after which Dooce checked herself into a psychiatric hospital. I don't want to make light of her situation and say I think I was headed in that direction, but I was certainly going through some serious emotional difficulties during this time. What did keep me sane was talking to all those other moms, as well as friends and family. I simply could not have gotten through all of that, and would not be coping with our situation in general, without their support. I would have given up much sooner on the sleep training and, in so doing, would probably be kicking myself now and wondering whether it would have worked if we had just given it a little longer. Now I can say we gave it a really good chance to work and I seriously reached my limit before we quit. So, thank you, thank you, thank you to those of you who have been there for me through all of this. You know who you are.
So, where are we now? Back to square one. Actually, worse. Ewan is waking up probably about a dozen times a night on average. I don't know, I don't always look at the clock and I tend to lose count, but it's a lot, and he often wakes up a several times within the first couple hours of us putting him to sleep. As far as we know, there is no medical reason for his waking up so often, although I still sometimes suspect tummy troubles because he often seems really uncomfortable and generally fitfull and restless. Anyway, our current routine is that we still put him to sleep in his crib after going through our normal bedtime routine, and he is usually at least slightly awake and can still settle himself down and fall asleep on his own, although I still stay in the room with him now and pick him back up and rock him if he does start crying. The first time he wakes up after we go to bed, though, which is usually very soon after, we bring him into bed with us and we co-sleep for the rest of the night. How are we coping with this? Actually, really well considering everything. I have a new attitude toward our situation, which I'm usually able to maintain. I think it's the only thing you can do when you feel like your last resort has failed you. As hard as it is to be woken up on an hourly basis, I am relieved to have the ordeal of letting Ewan cry every night over with. I'm sure if it had worked for us, I would have been thrilled, but given what we went through, I feel much better about this arrangement emotionally, and there are some really nice things about it. Troy and I both love having Ewan close and cuddling during the night, especially on days when we work and don't get to see him much. And I've been doing a lot of reading about the benefits of co-sleeping. We are making the best of it by getting ourselves to bed early and napping when we can. Since I do most of the nighttime parenting, Troy gets up early with Ewan on the weekends and I sleep in. We also plan to treat ourselves to a new king size bed. And we are sure to focus on the little signs of progress, like the fact that, although he often still needs to nurse or be held and rocked when he wakes up, Ewan is also now sometimes able to fall back to sleep with us just patting or rubbing his back or snuggling him in closer, and that was never the case before.
As for naps, there have been some positive changes. For a long time Ewan was taking four little catnaps a day, usually about 30 minutes each, and no matter what we did, we couldn't get him to sleep for longer. Now I have gotten in the habit, on my days off, of taking Ewan's first morning nap in bed with him, and not only is it so nice to curl up with him and snooze, but he generally sleeps a little longer that way - usually closer to an hour. His second nap often starts out in the stroller when we're out for a walk and sometimes I can transfer him to his crib or hold him and let him sleep a little longer, but sometimes it ends up just being a 20 or 30 minute nap. For the last several days, I've put him down for his third nap in his crib and, when he wakes up after his usual 30 minutes or so, I've actually been able to nurse him back to sleep. The problem is that he wakes right back up if I put him back in his crib, so I've just been holding him and rocking him during that time, and he's had a few hour and 45 minute naps that way. You may think I'm crazy for being willing to hold him that whole time, but I actually really look forward to it. There is nothing sweeter than watching your baby sleep peacefully in your arms. It's my time to study every little detail of this precious being: his soft blond hair that's growing thicker and longer every day, his mile-long eyelashes, his cute upturned nose, his chubby pink cheeks, his sweet baby mouth, his pudgy hands complete with those adorable dimpled knuckles... you get the idea. And when I'm not staring at my sleeping baby treasuring the present moment or reflecting on his earlier days or fantasizing about our future with him, I read. And read. I never have time to read anymore, so this is my chance. And it's much more fun than doing housework, which I would at least be feeling pressure to do if I weren't holding Ewan. I know, I know, just wait until we have another baby. But to me that's even more of a reason to indulge myself and Ewan in this luxury while we can. Like I said, if the sleep training had worked and Ewan was taking two two-hour naps in his crib every day, I'm sure I'd be thrilled with all the time I would suddenly have on my hands, but this is my way of making the best of our not so ideal situation. Plus, I think it's good for us both and will make for some nice memories, and I'm pretty sure I won't ever regret having held my baby so much when he was little.
So that's where we are with sleep. We are making the best of it and surviving, which is sometimes all you can do. And of course we're remembering that this too shall pass.
Oh becca! thanks so much for the update, I was just thinking about you and the whole situation. there is nothing more challenging than raising a kid and you are doing an amazing job. keep taking it one day at a time and know that you are helping others just by writing about your experience! sending a huge bear hug through the interweb.
ReplyDeleteBecca, I'm sorry to hear that this has been such a struggle for you. We are also in the middle of transitioning Vera from her Cosleeper in to her crib, and we have not been successful. But, I always try to remember - eventually we'll figure it out as a family. Our babies won't be cosleeping the night before their wedding - they will all grow up (too fast, I would guess), and we have to cherish every moment. Although, it would be nice to get a few hours consecutive sleep once in a while. You probably already have it, but Dr. Sears' "The Baby Book" has a lot of positive reinforcement for cosleeping, and a lot of responses for all the nay-sayers. A lot of Pediatricians and random people will tell you that you're spoiling your child, or it's just not right, but I believe in the power of cosleeping, and following your child's lead when it comes to transitioning out of it. After all, just 5 (or 6) short months ago, they were being carried around by us 24-7 for 9 straight months! Imagine how hard it is for them to adjust to sleeping by themselves all night. Lots of good sleep vibes, and mama-power (and dada-power) to all of you! You'll all get through it together - the way that's best for your family.
ReplyDeleteThank you both for the support! Sophia, I just finished reading that book and got a lot of comfort from it. I was afraid to read a lot of it when we were considering the sleep training and going through it because I know Dr. Sears is way at the other end of the spectrum. I agree with everything you said about cosleeping and have all along, which is maybe part of the reason sleep training didn't work for our family. People say babies are really good at picking up on your emotions. I just felt like I had to try it just in case it worked quickly and easily for us, because I was so desperate for sleep. Now that we're back to cosleeping, I might as well embrace it 100%, so I'm all about Dr. Sears and reading about all the positives of it! One thing I know for sure, though, is that I'll never judge another parent for what they decide to do when it comes to sleep. It has to be an individual family decision. And the truth of the matter is that I think most children learn to sleep ok eventually, regardless of how they learn, and for those that don't ever go on to become good sleepers, I think it's more a matter of temperament than whether they coslept or sleep trained or something in between. Anyway, good luck with Vera, and Katie, again, I hope your baby boy is a super sleeper right from the start!
ReplyDeleteah, bec, i am a little choked up with the wonderful memories i have of holding sadie through every nap when she was young. it doesn't get any better than that. i remember when oli was little and i learned that he is easy-going enough to nap in bed, i actually felt a little sad that he wasn't spending all that time on me, like sadie got to. (i have gotten over that, but you get the idea.) ewan is one lucky guy. and i love love the photo of you and kath sleeping. thanks mama beth!
ReplyDeleteYeah, I know a bunch of families who sleep trained, and had their kid sleeping independently within several days. Different things work for different babies/families. I don't blame you for trying whatever might work - sleep deprivation is crazy-making. I was in tears the other day when Vera had a terrible night, and then totally refused to nap all day. Anyway, it sounds like little Ewan is pretty good at letting you know what he needs, and it's good that Troy supports you - we Mamas are hardwired to blow a fuse when our babies cry and we can't help them... it is really important to have someone to lean on when that happens. I'm the same way as you - I can't let Vera fuss for very long, let alone cry... and I can totally understand why Dooce needed a mental health intervention after 2 weeks of that - I practically fell apart after one evening of it.
ReplyDeleteHi Becca,
ReplyDeleteWe were only a few days ahead of you on that sleep training and our "success" is mixed as well. I was consistent at the beginning, but I knew Griff was hungry and I wasn't any good at night weaning. I just keep reminding myself that he won't be nursing at night when he is 15. So now we put him down for the night in his crib and I pull him into bed with us at some point in the night when I decide that I can't take the sleep deprivation of waking up and picking him up again. And I get to enjoy cuddling up with him and nursing him through the rest of the night. Naps, well they work sometimes, but he rarely sleeps more than 40 minutes on his own. He naps much better when we are snuggled up and he can nurse back to sleep when he wakes a bit. But overall, I am happy with our arrangement. I like the flexibility of still being able to sleep together. It is just enough of a break for my back (which hurts to be side lying nursing all night) that he can sleep on his own for the first part of the night. And I really cherish all of the snuggles with this sweet little one who will be independent all too soon. I am definitely learning to say "um hum" to the family members and friends who say we have to do it a particular way. We are finding our own way as our own little family. And you guys are, too.
Becca, so sorry it has been so tough for you guys. I love that you are working with what you have and seeing all the positives in it. When we initially tried the sleep training it didn't work for us either-- I also nearly lost my mind--literally. But after talking with a sleep expert we figured out what we were doing wrong and tried again. Let me know if you want to talk. Would love to help out if I can.
ReplyDeleteThanks mamas! This is the kind of support I'm talking about! Valentine, I'm glad to hear that you guys are figuring out an arrangement that works well for your family. It does sound like a nice balance. And Van, glad you eventually found something that worked, too! I'd love to talk more soon, and not just about sleep!
ReplyDeleteHey, Becca!
ReplyDeleteI remember my mom saying that phrase, too - "this too shall pass" - but man, it sounds hard! I wish you all the best - don't worry - you're a great mom. Ewan is a lucky little guy.