
I didn't think it was possible, but this baby has become even less fussy. Physically, however, he has become less mellow, and is now getting his whole body involved in his happiness, mostly in the form of a lot of ear-to-ear grins, kicking, and one-legged bicycling. All it takes to make him smile is a little eye contact. He's the typical neglected second child... You look at him and he's like, "Hey! You're paying attention to me! Yay!" He does this even if he's been sleeping. Sometimes I'll try to transfer him after he falls asleep in my arms or in a carrier and he'll immediately open his eyes and look up at me and grin, as if to say, "Hey, it's you! And you're looking at me!" (I can guarantee that if I were sleeping peacefully in someone's arms and they tried to move me to a cold, hard, flat surface, I would also wake up, but I would not be smiling.) Don't get me wrong, I would love to just sit and stare at this child all day; it's just that we've got a few things going on these days. And, of course, he's far from actually be neglected.
I look back at my old posts of Ewan as an infant, and the similarities are amazing, not just physically, but developmentally. I know this may change with time, but it's so interesting how when they're tiny, these babies all tend to do the same things within days of each other. Asa has now really discovered his hands and can often be found either sucking on them, carefully studying them, or using them to bat at the hanging toys in his bouncy seat. He is also getting much more head control and neck strength and is tolerating tummy time more and more. He has also rolled over a few times when propped up on his forearms. (Ewan had done this at this age, too, but the real rolling over came more like a month later.) Asa is also cooing a ton, but mostly in a social way. If he doesn't have someone to talk to at the moment, he tends to just chill quietly.
Asa had his first day at daycare yesterday, and it went well, although the daycare provider said he gets upset when other babies or kids cry. What an empathetic little dude. I can totally see that in him. Anyway, it's so nice to know that our boys are there together, and just in time for them having reached a new level in their relationship. They have recently started interacting a lot more. When Ewan is approaching Asa, Asa understandably looks a little nervous, but if Ewan maintains a little distance, Asa gives him all kinds of big smiles. Ewan loves that, and smiles and laughs back. This goes on for maybe 30 seconds until Ewan remembers that there are cars to be played with. Even though these moments are brief, I love that they have them throughout the day. And I love that Asa seems to recognize Ewan, and that they can be a potential source of comfort for each other if either of them is having a tough time at daycare.
As a family, I'd say we've really gotten into our groove. Bedtime is even better than last month. We still all get into our bed together and read books, but when the lights go out, Asa puts himself to sleep in his co-sleeper with his pacifier and Troy cuddles Ewan to sleep in his toddler bed. That means I am free! Not needed at bedtime, at least after everyone is bathed, fed, and read to, and Troy and I get to go to sleep in a bed with no kids in it! I'm not sure how long this will last, and of course we often wake up with both kids in the bed, but for now I feel like we have a great thing going. Asa is sleeping ok - could be better, could be worse - and I'm just debating what I want to do long-term. I'd like to maintain having both boys go to sleep in their own beds, but with the option of having them come into our bed later in the night if they want to or if it feels easier to us, so I'm thinking of a mattress on the floor in the other room for Asa when he outgrows his co-sleeper. Eventually they'll be in the other room together in bunk beds, but we're a ways off from that. Anyway, besides sleep, the other aspects of our lives are going pretty smoothly, as well. It's sometimes a little hard when I'm home alone with both boys because Ewan gets bored and really wants my attention, which I can't always give him, but I've started doing trades with two mom friends who have kids the same age, and it has worked out really well. We trade off watching the big boys, so we can have time alone with our babies and to do other things, like go to post-partum yoga. Ewan loves the chance to go to the park or play at his friends' houses, and the social time is great for him, too. I find that we're all happier this way, whether it's my day with all the kids or not. Support from other parents is so crucial when you have kids!
Well, that's where we are at the moment. Definitely can't complain. Asa obviously continues to be such a love and we count our blessings every day.
No comments:
Post a Comment