That's right, baby #2 is on the way! Due 11/25/11, the day after Thanksgiving. You can add us to the list of couples you know for whom their first child took a lot of "hard work" to conceive and the second one was a result of that one time. I know so many people for whom that was the case, and I joked that it would happen to us. We had planned on officially starting to try for another baby soon; it just happened a bit sooner than we expected. But we're excited. At least when I'm not feeling nauseous and exhausted and thinking about the fact that Ewan is still nursing, waking up several times a night, and sleeping in our bed. We have a bit of work to do before this baby comes, but at least now we have some major motivation, and I'm sure that it will all be worth it.
I'm 8 weeks pregnant today, and we found out about 4 weeks ago. That, in itself, is a funny story. I started to suspect that it was a possibility on a Thursday evening, but not enough to take a test. By Friday morning, I considered taking a test, but didn't want to because I was about to meet with a new family at work and didn't want to be majorly distracted by any big news. That afternoon, we were due to leave directly from work to drive down to the Santa Barbara area to stay with my aunt and uncle and also visit my mom who was there from the east coast. By that point, I was feeling a little anxious and joked with Troy that we may have to stop at Denny's on the way down. (You can find out what the heck I'm talking about here.) He asked me if I was serious and I kind of brushed it off. Well, we made it to Los Olivos, where my aunt and uncle live, and by the next morning I was really starting to suspect that I could be pregnant. I really wanted to get my hands on a test, but didn't find the opportunity or excuse to run out to a pharmacy to buy one until late that afternoon. When we decided to order pizza for dinner that night, I promptly volunteered Troy and I to go pick it up, if they would watch Ewan. So we drove to Giovanni's pizza in Solvang, placed our order, then drove over to Rite Aid and bought a test. I was super anxious at this point, but Troy was cool as a cucumber, I think because he didn't believe me. I wanted to take the test right away, but refrained from peeing into an empty water bottle in Troy's van. However, by the time we got back to Giovanni's, I decided I wanted to take the test there. I told Troy to go in and get the pizzas and meet me outside in the van, so we wouldn't make a weird scene in the middle of the pizza place. I marched directly into the bathroom with my little plastic bag from Rite Aid and, well, I can probably skip over what happened in the next minute or two. With as straight a face as I could manage, I carried my little baggie out, thanked the pizza man, and met up with Troy in the van to share the news. While I was a little stunned, he was beyond excited, which relaxed me and got me more excited, too. We drove back to Los Olivos, where I got to share the news with my mom in person right away, and with my aunt and uncle shortly thereafter. It definitely made for an interesting weekend, and we obviously returned home with much more than we had planned! It was nice to be away from home to have the opportunity to process such big news. And, most of all, we're glad that the pressure of choosing a name is off. We can't wait to meet you little Giovanni Solvang Turvy!
That last part was a joke. More to come when I can find the energy to stay up past 8 p.m.
Congratulations Rebecca - that's great!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! What a great story :-)
ReplyDeleteOMG, i LOVE the name!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to your little family, Rebecca! Not sure you can give up that great name now that you made it public;)
ReplyDeleteBecca, Troy and Ewan,
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the upcoming arrival!!!!!!What great news because Ewan needs a little brother or sister to carry around. Love to all--Aunt Nancy & Uncle Donnie
Congratulations!!!! Hope you're feeling great!
ReplyDeleteOH BOY!!! What great news!!! the name is dynamite. lil GST - can't wait to see the ultrasound pics!
ReplyDeleteThanks, everyone! I had no idea anyone ever looked at this blog anymore!
ReplyDeleteWow, what awesome news! I love the name you picked, and that story is great! I'm sure your family is super excited to have yet another grandchild to play with when they come to visit!
ReplyDeleteAll the best to you, and we hope to see you soon.
Joy