Wednesday, September 15, 2010

14 month stuff

Ewan will be 14 months old in a few days. I think that this video really captures who he is and what he's doing right now. It includes many of his latest "Ewanisms," such as:

- his first sentences, "I did it" and "I love you" ("I lubba.") (Not featured in the video, he also says "Happy birthday," pronounced "Happy day-day.")

- the floor to standing pop-up (ready for surfing?) and gaining confidence and balance with his walking

- and my favorite... For whatever reason, whenever one of us burps and says "excuse me" or tells Ewan to say "excuse me," he says "nose." We have no idea why, but it's like a reflex for him; he says it so quickly and every time we say "excuse me." Watch for it around 18 seconds in...

14 months from Rebecca Turvy on Vimeo.


Other recent Ewanisms include:

- a determination to put words together. He has several two word phrases now, but often still struggles with them coming out how he intends. He practices like crazy and often tacks "Dada" on as the second word, maybe because it's really easy for him to say. For example, I'll say, "Ewan, we're going to go to the park, then the grocery store," and he says, "Grocery Dada!" (He also kind of does this in the video above when he says, "I lubba Da.")

- an obsession with accessories, including bracelets, rings, earrings, shoes, and socks. He loves to point out when someone is wearing one of these things. He also just learned the concept of "two," so he'll also point out if there are two of them. A week or so ago I came out wearing a new pair of slippers and Ewan noticed them right away. I said, "Yeah, those are Mama's new slippers. Aren't they cool?" Ever since then, whenever he sees them he points to them and says, "Shoes. Cool." He sometimes points out other shoes he thinks are cool, too.

- an interest in pointing to and naming body parts, especially noses. But it definitely doesn't stop at noses, if you catch my drift.

- calling a specific type of cracker a "have it." I gave him one in the car yesterday and he immediately asked for more. I said, "Ewan, you have it. It's right there." And I picked it up off his lap and gave it back to him. For the rest of the car ride he said, "More! Have it!" And several times last night he asked for "Nack (snack). Have it!"

- He has picked up on our use of the possessive form, as in "Those are Mama's shoes" and "That's Dada's computer," and has now sometimes started calling us "Mamas" and "Dadas." Hey, his Nannas is plural, so why can't we be?

This all just makes me realize how confusing our world and especially our language is. I can't imagine trying to make sense of it all in the way a toddler has to. They are such good sports, and so clever in the way they pick up on these things and integrate them into their little schemas of their worlds. It is equally fascinating and amusing to me!

4 comments:

  1. okay, at risk of saying this about EVERY one of your blog posts, ewan is SO cute, and i miss you guys like crazy! i love his 'ewanisms.' no more baby - he's getting to be a big little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every single thing you list, and every single thing the video shows, is SO CUTE, Bec! I need to get Skype or something so that I can share in more of this cuteness. I lubba, Ewan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pure joy! and i love all the details you list after the video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! Kath, you should get skype! Please let me know if you do! Oh yeah, and I forgot one more Ewanism: He calls every drink that isn't clearly water "coffee." Does that tell you something about the level of addiction in our house?

    ReplyDelete