Three months really feels like a milestone. I've heard a lot of parents talk about coming out of the fog around this time, and also that it's a time of major transition for babies, when they're definitely out of that newborn or "fourth trimester" phase and are more like real babies. I have to agree. Although Ewan is not the best sleeper for a three month old, as sleep deprived as I still am, when Ewan and I look at each other and I see that he recognizes me and grins that great huge gummy grin complete with an adorable dimple, it makes me think that I could live off the love and sweetness alone and never need to sleep again. Ok, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but you get my point. They say that the third month is all about hands, and that has also been true for us. In the past month, Ewan has discovered that his hands actually belong to him and that they have many uses. A favorite is sucking and chewing on them (just in time, because Troy and I already feel a tooth getting ready to break through!), but he has also enjoyed reaching out and batting at or touching toys and other objects, grabbing (especially my hair, which prompted me to just cut about six inches off of it), and sometimes just staring at them. Ewan has really come to love his bouncy seat, including the dangling toys that were just a nuisance when he was a newborn. I caught this video of the first time that Ewan was able to bat at the toys with a decent degree of precision. Prior to this, he would attempt to hit the toys by flailing both arms out simultaneously and with little control. The video is a little long and may be boring to some people, but I found it fascinating to watch how quickly he was able to improve upon this new skill.
batting in the bouncy seat from Rebecca Turvy on Vimeo.
Other new tricks this month include Ewan's lifting his head higher and higher during tummy time, which is quite the feat with such a big noggin. One thing that cantaloupe of a head is good for, though, is momentum. Ewan is very close to being able to roll over and is working on it by leaning that head way over to the side. He has rolled over completely on his own off of a tummy time pillow we have, as well as on our bed, but I think that says more about our need for a new mattress rather than Ewan's motor development. When lying flat on his tummy, though, he doesn't yet quite have the strength and ability to push himself up and tuck his arm under enough to roll on his own. Seeing as how quickly things change, though, I'm sure he will in no time!Finally, our babe has become quite the talker. He babbles away to anyone or anything who will listen, and apparently the ceiling vents and lights are quite the good listeners. He does enjoy having conversations with his mama and daddy, though, too. His favorite word is, of course, "agoo," which can be said in many different tones, my favorite being sort of a resigned sigh.
Well, I think that's about it for this month. No new stats because we didn't have a doctor's appointment, but, as of Friday, Ewan weighed just over 16 pounds with his clothes and diaper on, so he's somewhere between 15 and 16. A whole album of photos from the third month can be seen here. This coming Friday Ewan and I are off to NY for a week and a half to visit my family. Wish us luck on his first flight across the country!
So sweet, especially the photo - have a wonderful trip! The boob is the answer on flights at this age. Just make sure you bring enough water for yourself!
ReplyDeletei love it. i agree, that photo is super. i love the videos. the swing ones are funny because they made me really dizzy but oli was totally mesmerized! i can't wait to see you!
ReplyDelete