Thursday, August 2, 2012

Asa is 8 months old


That's our little water lover right there.  He is well on his way to fitting right in in Santa Cruz.

Asa's first tooth finally broke through on the day he turned eight months old.  A pattern seems to be emerging of our kids getting teeth while we're traveling.  We're currently in Lake Tahoe, and Ewan got his first teeth in Baja, followed by his second set in NY, and others in Santa Barbara, and I believe Big Sur.  Changes bring on more changes maybe?  Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the hard time Asa was going through a month ago was not teething, unless that part of the teething process was more painful for him than actually cutting the tooth, which hasn't seemed to bother him that much.  I was so convinced since so many signs pointed to that, but I guess it just goes to show that raising a baby, even the second time around, is just one big guessing game.  Now I wonder whether the poor little guy had an ear infection (which I had assured my mom it wasn't) or something because he was clearly in some pain.  Do ear infections eventually clear up on their own?

Anyway, other new recent changes include a huge increase in appetite, especially his appetite for solid foods.  In the last week or so, he has started chowing.  He is also much less interested in nursing, and pretty much only ever wants to nurse to sleep.  Otherwise, he is way too distracted.  Ewan was that way, too, but I don't think it happened until he was a bit older.  Asa has already self-weaned from the pacifier and mostly from the bottle, too (we're going to try breastmilk in a sippy cup at daycare so he is at least getting some during the day), so if he can just go ahead and self-wean from the breast within the next year or so, that would be great!

Asa is not mobile yet (and I am thankful for that because I am terrified of trying to babyproof with all of Ewan's little toys lying around), but he is starting to get more determined to move.  He leans way forward while sitting and sometimes gets to his belly that way, and he scoots around a fair amount when he's lying on his back or belly.

Other than that, this month has been more of the same fun stuff: babbling, laughing, admiring his big brother, etc.  Asa has been loving all of the attention he's getting from his grandparents, aunt, and cousins in Tahoe, and he's about to get more of it from my side of the family when we head to NY in a week.  What an exciting ninth month of life this will be for our little guy!

1 comment:

  1. I quickly found that with Reef I didn't really need to baby proof as much. Not sure why, but I was freaked out about little parts and stuff, especially with legos, but just started telling him not to put in his mouth and I think he tended to follow Rivers's lead, playing with them the way they should be played with.

    ReplyDelete